Charlotte’s Off-Broadway and 134 West present a production of this new play, CONFIDENCE (and The Speech).
WHEN: September 6- 15
WHERE: Duke Energy Theatre at Spirit Square
Charlotte, NC 91105
This uniquely cross-gender play explores the confidence of a president, a nation in chaos and women in politics.
– Confidence (and The Speech) was a semi-finalist for the 2018 Eugene O’Neill Playwriting Conference.
– Second Round finalist for the Austin Film Festival Playwriting Contest.
– Confidence is currently preparing for a run at the Duke Energy Theater in Charlotte, NC from September 6-15.
Confidence (and The Speech) is a not-exactly-true perspective of a very true story, wrapped in a fantasy.
On July 4, 1979 President Carter cancelled an important energy policy speech he was scheduled to give the next day and disappeared to Camp David. Ten days later, he emerged from his impromptu domestic summit and gave a new speech, the Crisis of Confidence speech, which became known as the “malaise” speech. The speech garnered overwhelmingly positive responses at first and many now view the speech as unprecedented, farsighted and insightful. Others think it may have ultimately cost him the White House.
Forty years later, college professor Cynthia Cooper is approached by a stranger, a young man, and asked to recall her time with the Carter Administration during the days before the now infamous Crisis of Confidence speech. If she is going to tell her story of that time – the story told from her perspective – she is going to play the President. And the young man who wants to know her story? Well, he is going to play her. This unique cross-gender play explores the confidence of a president, a nation in chaos and women in politics.
- Reading, Boston Court Performing Arts Center – Pasadena, CA – May 2017
- Reading, Son of Semele Theatre – Los Angeles, CA – November 2017
- Reading, Charlotte’s Off-Broadway – Charlotte, NC – March 2018
- Upcoming Workshop Production! – Duke Energy Theatre – Charlotte, NC – September 6-15, 2018
We are seeking producers and feedback as we move toward a full production.
Project Type: Play